Thursday, April 19, 2012

Mel Lazarus...In His Own Words

Mel Lazurus is best known as the creator of two comic strips, Miss Peach which ran from 1957 to 2002 and Momma that debuted in 1970 and is still going strong today. This American cartoonist and novelist also worked with Jack Rickard from 1966 to 1969 on the strip  Pauline McPeril, where he used the pseudonym Fulton, which is also the name of a character in his novel. Here is an early 1960s interview he did before Momma had even sprung into the cartoonist's imagination....I was born May 3, 1947 in New York City, where I currently reside. I never actually graduated from high school...my art teacher flunked me. I have since, however, attended many classes of one kind or another. I frequently lecture to colleges and to other groups around the country. I sold my first cartoon at sixteen. I did commercial art and edited children's books prior to February 4, 1957 when my comic strip, Miss Peach, was launched. The character Miss Peach are not actually modeled on real persons...with the possible exception of Lester, the skinny kid in the strip. Possibly the most loved character is Arthur, the dopey little kid. I make notes all week based on thoughts, conversational fragments, etc. I sift through all these notes on Monday mornings and select several of them to develop. I then write gags for them. I do six daily strips and a Sunday page. In addition to two Miss Peach compilations, I have completed my first novel, The Boss Is Crazy, Too. I will also adapt the book for the stage.

No comments: